Are your gutters leaking? Are they overflowing? The solution may be as simple as having your gutters cleaned. Whether you’re already experiencing problems with your gutters or not, investing in gutter cleaning is the best way to protect your gutters and ensure that they’re functioning at optimum. Clogged and dirty gutters can cause damage to your property that can be expensive to repair. Cleaning your gutters can help you protect your property from severe damage. Reflection of Perfection offers expert gutter and roof cleaning services to help you save time and money while protecting your property.
Risks of not cleaning your gutters
Out of sight is out of mind. Many people take this attitude with gutters and avoid gutter cleaning. That is until they begin to experience problems. There are many dangers of not having your gutters cleaned. Some common problems include:
- Falling gutters – when your gutters are clogged water collects in them. The weight of the debris and water becomes too much for the gutters to hold and they collapse as a result.
- Damage to the roof – When rainwater doesn’t drain and collects in your gutters, the shingles on your roof that are in contact with the water will begin to deteriorate. These shingles will absorb water until they become saturated and begin to rot. This will cause damage to your roof shingles, insulation and ceiling.
- Damaged foundation – gutters are designed to divert water away from the foundation of the home. When your gutters are clogged they will overflow and water will pool around the foundation. This causes the soil to shift and exert pressure on the foundation resulting in foundation damage.
- Basement flooding – clogged and overflowing gutters cause runoff water to pool at the foundation of your home. This water seeps into the soil and through cracks in the foundation. It can result in a flooded basement.
- Damage to your landscape – flooding as a result of overflowing gutters can have disastrous effects on your landscape. The excess water will wash away the nutrient-rich topsoil. It can cause your landscape to become waterlogged, killing trees and plants due to water saturation.
- Pest infestations – dirty and clogged gutters offer the perfect environment for pests such as rodents, termites, birds and mosquitos to thrive. These pests will find their way into your home where they will wreak havoc.
- Building up of ice – if you let water collect in your gutters it will freeze when temperatures drop in winter. The additional weight will cause your gutters to sag and pull away from the roof.
Gutter cleaning benefits
Water can be destructive to the structure of your home. Gutter and roof cleaning offers a simple and inexpensive way to avoid many of the problems that water can cause. Cleaning your gutters will:
- Protect your home from water damage
- Prevent debris from building up in your gutters and therefore prevent termites, birds, rodents and other pests from nesting in your gutters and causing a pest infestation in your home. Cleaning also involves moss removal to prevent moss infestations.
- Protect your landscape from destruction from excess water. You can protect your investment in landscaping.
- Maintain the beauty and value of your property.
Best times to clean your gutters
The best time of the year to have your gutters cleaned is in the fall and spring. Cleaning gutters in spring helps to get rid of the debris that may have collected in your gutters during winter. Cleaning in the fall will ensure that your gutters are clean enough to drain water properly when the rain and snowfalls in the winter.
Cleaning gutters is a risky and involved job. It is important to ensure that you have the right equipment to get the job done. This includes:
- A sturdy ladder with extension or cleaning gutters on buildings with two stories
- A tarp
- Work gloves
- Safety goggles
- Buckets with s-hooks
- Garden hose with a spray nozzle
- Trowel or scoop with a handle
- Plumber snake
Cleaning gutters can be risky for most property owners
Cleaning gutters can be a dangerous job if you don’t have the right skills, experience and equipment. You could put yourself at risk of a serious accident if you’re not used to climbing ladders, carrying tools or cleaning gutters. Our professional services will ensure safety during the clean. We’ll save you time, money and help you avoid the risk of injury.